Saturday, October 9, 2010

Outhouse

I have been interested in old outhouses for several years. Actually, I am not the only one as it turns out if you google outhouse you can view quite a bit of information and photographs of old outhouses, including an explanation of the moon cut out you typically see on the door. You'll have to look it up if you want to know.

 On a recent trip to Denver I went out to inspect a claim and the homeowner had an outhouse made from old weathered wood siding and rusted metal roof. It looked so cool I  knew I had to build one. I didn't have access to any old barn wood or rusted metal for the roof so I had to settle for materials I had available.  I used some lumber I had accumulated to frame the floor and walls. I would like to have purchased rough cut lumber or cedar 1x boards for the siding, but I wanted to use something a little more budget friendly. I settled on pressure treated pine fencing. It has taken a while but today I finally built and installed the door. It is a little bigger than most outhouses, but it also serves as a storage shed for gasoline and garden tools.





In about 20 years it will have the aged look and character of this outhouse which was the "inspiration" for my outhouse.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Are you going to dig a hole in there and use it?

Curtis said...

Looks good, but it really, really, really needs a moon cut into the door!

Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay said...

Nah, this is definitely a man's outhouse. No moon symbol here, or mooning either for that matter.